Sunday, June 03, 2007

Chicago Weekend: Part One

This weekend LC and I made a trip to Chi-Town with the Big DC and JC (Mom). The trip was JC's idea and was intended to celebrate LC's graduation. Needless to say the Windy City did not disappoint! We left Saturday morning shortly after 9am and arrived in Chicago at just after 11am local time. We parked under the recently renovated Millennium Park and started out the day by walking about the park and grabbing a hot dog for lunch. After lunch we walked up Michigan Avenue to the theater where we bough tickets for "Spelling Bee" which was an incredible show. I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe at a point specifically related to a certain characters peanut allergy. One of my favorite lines from the show came when one of the spellers asked for the word Indigent to be used in a sentence and the official said "Indigents are lazy".
After the show (I should clarify here that it was a matinee) we headed back out to Michigan Avenue and LC and JC did some shopping while the Big DC and I walked over and checked out the new Trump Tower. After some time in Crate & Barrel we headed over to Rock Bottom for some excellent burgers and local brews. The servings were huge but with all the walking we were doing we all devoured our meals. After dinner JC showed us all the original Marshall Fields location which was huge and interesting to see...a whole different concept of architecture. Finally we wandered back to Millennium Park and took a stroll around at dusk. At the end of the day we headed out to the "burbs" where we stayed at a Marriott. This morning we headed next door to our strategic hotel location and spent several hours in the Ikea of Chicago. I was notably annoying in my disinterest but we made it though and as is typical LC found all the great decorating pieces. This afternoon we headed back downtown and parked at Navy Pier. Once there we took a nice walk out to the end and spent some time looking back at the city. After a while we took the Trolley in to the city again and the girls did a bit more shopping while BDC and I tried to understand how we never knew that Chi-Town had a Subway . For lunch we dinned at The Corner Bakery. Finally we took the long way back to Navy Pier on the trolley and now we are on the road back home (94 East).
As I am sure you have already concluded we had a great time and it was especially fun to be celebrating LC's graduation (though she is studying for her boards as I write this).
Well tomorrow we start another week and I feel lucky once again to be able to look forward to heading in to work.
Hope this finds you all well. I'll post a best of photos when we get home and can look through them.
Later All,
DC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home